Monday, November 10, 2008

What I've learned

What I've learned over the last year and a half of feeding strickly homemade to my dogs is that rice is very important. Rice is substance that enables you to swithc it up daily. Well, for my dogs it is and that may be the fact that they are all seniors. Tilley for one has an easily upset stomach now at almost 12; she never use to.

I'm actually thinking about getting one of those great rice makers so I can have rice on hand always. At the moment I keep a good supply by microwaving it whenever I think about it. I'm liking the organic brown basmati rice now;

Basmati is a variety of long grain rice, famous for its fragrance and delicate flavour. Its name means "the fragrant one" in Sanskrit, but it can also mean the "soft rice." India and Pakistan are the largest cultivators and exporters of this rice - primarily grown through paddy field farming in the Punjab region.

The grains of basmati rice are longer than non-basmati varieties. Cooked grains of Basmati rice are characteristically free flowing rather than sticky. Cooked basmati rice can be uniquely identified by its fragrance. Basmati rice is available in two varieties - white rice and brown rice

Brown Basmati seems to be much easier to digest that typical brown rice which often just ends up in the yard.

When you feed your dog or dogs real food it can take a while to learn their likes and dislikes both in taste and stomach acceptance. My girls are great, they can eat just about anything and will eat just about anything. Luke is my big challenge; what I've learned about Luke is that finicky means not always liking something you like yesterday and often being shocked when he does eat something I'm assuming he won't.

No comments: