Sunday, November 16, 2008

Dried Cranberries and Sweet Potatoes



I've been using alot of sweet potatoes lately. They are in season and #1 on the "good for you" veggie list. So what is good for me is good for my dogs. Of course not always; there are things that my dogs cannot eat that I can. But for sweet potatoes, they can eat them and they enjoy them. Luke of course likes his with butter and lots of it (just like his Mom). Here are the nutritional reasons to eat them:

The numbers for the nutritional sweet potato speak for themselves: almost twice the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A, 42 percent of the recommendation for vitamin C, four times the RDA for beta carotene, and, when eaten with the skin, sweet potatoes have more fiber than oatmeal. All these benefits with only about 130 to 160 calories!

Sweet Potato Nutrition Facts
(for one medium size sweet potato)
Calories 130
Fat 0.39 g
Protein 2.15 g
Net Carbs 31.56 g
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
Calcium 28.6 mg
Sodium 16.9 mg
Potassium 265.2 mg
Folate 18.2 mcg
Vitamin C 29.51 mg
Vitamin A 26081.9 IU
Source: US Department of Agriculture


I have also started cutting up dried cranberries for the dogs food. I wanted to make sure that they are getting a natural source of vitamin C and this is a good one. They are very tart and not typically something the dogs would like; excluding Jessie of course. So I chop them very fine and sprinkle them in their food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dried_cranberries

No comments: