Monday, December 1, 2008

Weight gain

I've been working very hard to put some weight on Luke; as you know he is a very fussy eater and way skinny. I wish I had the same problem he does; don't we all? So I'm always trying to add high calorie foods to his meals and between meals. The only problem with this is that I'm not trying to fatten up the girls; they don't need any extra meat on them.

It can be difficult to add calories without causing problems. High calories are typically more fat content for dogs. More food is not the answer when you have a dog who rarely finishes his food so you must slip in more calories. Lastnight I put some bacon drippings on his food; only a small amount. The danger of adding more fat is loose stool or worse. So you must add it in small amounts.

The bacon flavor definitely did the trick for Luke; he ate all of his dinner lastnight which was turkey, chopped arugula, apple, brown rice, green pepper, liver and bacon drippings, yum. I can already feel that he is putting on some weight since he was sick. Not much mind you but a tiny coating of meat over his bones. He is never going to be a heavy dog; it just isn't who he is.

And for the girls; I'm constantly watching what they eat. With Tilley being almost 12 I don't want her carrying any extra weight and Jessie; well she puts weight on if she looks at food and not eating has never been a problem for her.

No comments: