Friday, December 12, 2008

Yes it is work


















We are having a party this weekend; which means I've been in the kitchen just about everyday all day. With preparing food the party, feeding the family and the dogs my kitchen is well used. I have often been in several million dollar homes for training when the topic of dog food has come up. "I'm not cooking for my dogs; I don't cook for my family." Standing looking at the enormous kitchen I think to myself what a waste.

But yes; cooking for the dogs is alot of work. It wouldn't be near the work if it was just Jessie; one little 15 lb mouth to feed. And it definitely wouldn't be as much work if it were not for Luke; I am constantly challenged by his fussy palate. But I enjoy cooking and baking; not always mind you. There are days when I want to throw in the towel and not set foot in the kitchen. One of my favorite things to do is dine out.

When I'm overwhelmed and busy beyond belief the dogs eat fast food. Fast food for them is more than likely raw meat; they had raw meat the other night. Not because I didn't want to cook but because I was just too busy; and like any kid they were very excited to have fast food. They all sit politely infront of me and I feed them with a fork; it's got to be novel for them, a nice change from eating out of the old feed bowl.

I know it is alot of work to feed the dogs this way but when you know the facts; it's hard not to. I also understand that many people don't have the time or desire to feed their dogs like I do. Everyone is different and every dog is different; doing the best we can is what matters. I enjoy feeding my dogs but if you don't want to cook or prepare your dog's food; just research all the dog foods out there and get the one you think is the best.

I tend to like the smaller companies; not so commercial. The ones who still care about the dogs and not just the bottom line. And don't be afraid to throw in some chicken, veggies, beef or whatever you bring home from the restaurant ;) as long as it is healthy food.

No comments: