Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dog cookies




















Having been known as the cookie lady (for humans)for years; it seems only fitting that I make dog cookies. I've made several different kinds over the years but have yet to find one that is as good as I want them to be. So I'm on a mission to create a really good cookie.

Most dog cookies are very bland; even the "organic" type. And then there are the ones that taste like cardboard; they sure smell like cardboard. I want something that my dogs want to eat. Lastnight I was making shortbread; a big hit with all the dogs, Luke included. Shortbread is great for adding calories which is what Luke needs but I don't want the sugar in them. Not that shortbread has a ton of sugar; what makes shortbread really amazing is the butter. And we know how much Luke loves butter.

Tilley was my constant companion as I baked lastnight. I was using a cookie press so there is alot of radom bits and pieces that fly off the counter; she was there to clean up the mess for me. ;) So now I have to put on my thinking cap and come up with a recipe that taste good and is good for the dogs. Calories are not a concern; if they are high in calories then the girls only get a small piece and hopefully Luke will put on some much needed weight.

I'm off to experiment.

No comments: