Monday, December 8, 2008

Water

Water is very important for dogs; good fresh clean water. Like us they need water each and every day. But; how much they drink depends on what they eat. When I switched to feeding my dogs real food from kibble the water consumption dropped dramatically. Even after a hard run the dogs rarely drink water. The only time they really seem to drink more is when it is hot out. And at that time they love ice in their water. After a long hot run they will wait very patiently for someone to fill their bowl with ice and fresh cold water. We also give the dogs spring water whenever we can. Yes they drink taop water sometimes but I try to keep it at a minimum. I figure if it isn't something I want to chug back then I should be having my dogs chug it back either. When they do drink it takes them a while; unlike us they lap their water with the back of their tongue. It may look like they lap up with their tongue in a laddle like shape but their tongue curls backwards and it is in the tiny pocket that they hold the water from the bowl to their mouth. The video above of Jessie shows this action.

No comments: