Friday, December 5, 2008

Ah Raw


Luke is one happy boy; yesterdays meal consisted of RAW beef. I know dog noses are amazing but they still astound me. I can take raw meat out of the refriderater and Luke will be in the kitchen with 15 sec. Even when he is sleeping in the familyroom which is on the opposite end of the house; unbelievable. And when I come home from the grocery store with meat; it takes but a second for him to be hot on my trail.

Raw is very natural for dogs but if you have never given them raw before it can take a while for them to get use to it. When I first gave them raw beef Tilley spit it on the floor. I had to offer it to her several times before she realized she should eat it. But believe me it doesn't take long once they get the hang of it.

The only time I feed raw is if I just purchased meat from the grocery; it also has to have a best by date of several days from the day I am giving it to them. I do not feed raw ground beef or chicken. Many people do but this is my own decision only to feed solid raw beef.

So when I do feed raw beef especially; I have to make sure that whatever else is going with it is stuck to the raw beef or Luke will pick out the beef and that's it. I cooked up some oatmeal yesterday as it sticks very nicely giving Luke no option other than to eat the oatmeal. I also chopped Arugula very tiny and cranberries which both stuck nicely as well.

I made some cookies yesterday; a new recipe and they are pretty good. Luke ate some lastnight but they still don't compare to the shortbread.

No comments: