Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Double Quarter pounder


Since Luke started dropping weight from his mysterious illness I started stopping at McDs on a regular basis. My favorite coffee hands down is McDs; that is here in SoCal. Back home it is Tim Hortons ahead of McDs so when I stop for my coffee; or should I say when I stop to get a burger for the dogs I get to grab a coffee.

I get the double quarter pounder and they love it. Surprisingly there is no complaining from Luke; he eats it like a champ. Perhaps I should create some sort of burger type pattie that would be close to a balanced meal for him and the rest of the pooches. Like Luke the girls love it and I have to watch my fingers with Jessie when I feed the 1/4 lb; tuck em in or loose'm.

I have fed Luke some of the great RAW food brands of patties but it was work and he didn't eat them all. Taste is everything to Luke; so I'd have to put on my chef hat and come up with the perfect combination and a good amount of fat. Luke loves fat; the only problem with fat is that it tends to give regular dogs the runs in large quantities.

But dogs need fat just like we do. I was watching the Iditarod show a while back and it explained that mushers feed their dogs different foods. Most feed a combination of a high quality balanced dog food mixed with meats, high fat fish and added fat and oil. Sled dogs require between 6,000 - 12,000 calories a day during the run; an amazing amount of calories have to go into a meal. They also stop approximately every 3 hours or so for a snack, usually of frozen fish.

Most dogs on the Iditarod do best on a 60% fat diet; which is the equivalent of 60 Big Mac's. A diet consisting of 60% fat would turn both our dogs and us into fat cows. So we must regulate the fat content in our dogs food. Activity level of each dog plays a large role in caloric intake. And activity level is the amount of exercise and the level of natural activity a dog displays. That being a big difference between a very mellow dog and a high energy type personality. Luke tends to burn alot of calories during the day as he spins and carries on for greetings and throughout the day.

When I feed a burger midday to the dogs; Luke gets about 3/4 of it. The girls get enough between them to give them a little treat without adding extra pounds.

2 comments:

PerfectTosca said...

The woman said to tell you she knows for a fact that Mickie Dee's coffee is made by Green Mountain Coffee company in blend with Newman's Organics. That's why it's so good.

Sherri said...

Thanks for the info :)