Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Why RAW?


As you all know; or at least I think you know that there is a huge trend to "real" and "raw" feeding our dogs. When you consider feeding your dog you must look at where our dogs came from; wolves. Pekingese, Rat terriers, Dobermans, Poodles, Yorkies and Irish Wolfhounds all evolved from the wolf. Although it is hard to even contemplate the idea sometimes; you must think of your dog as just that, a dog. And being a dog they do not have the same nutritional needs as we do.

Dogs have a much shorter digestive system than we do so the easier it is to digest the better. Raw food meat offers ease of digestion as well and enzymes that are killed from the cooking process. Many people find it very difficult to transition to raw; we are use to cooking meat and raw sometimes freaks us out. But rest assured it is good for your dog and although it might take a few tries; they'll thank you for it.

The diet I am loosely following now for my dogs is 75% meat and 25% veggies. I am not strict about feeding the perfect portions but I am strict about feeding a variety of foods. I think the best way to ensure that all nutritional requirements are being met is to feed variety. This morning the dogs had raw beef, cooked asparagus with the water that it was cooked in, blueberries, goat yogurt and flaxseed oil.

Tonight they will have sardines or salmon with a different assortment of veggies. Not too many people have charts or graphs for feeding themselves or their family so why do it for your dog. I will often add different things like sweet potatoe, oatmeal or cottage cheese for a change. My dogs are amazingly healthy and I feel great about what they are eating.

No comments: