Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tid bits

Tid bits are about all I can get into Luke somedays. Although every morning and evening I try my best to offer him up yummy meals he often simply refuses to eat. Well; that is all I can do as far as meals go. What I have been doing now is letting him snack; even on the days that he does eat really well like this morning; he has had several snacks.

If you follow the regime that wolves follow as far as eating goes it is a hit and miss. There are days you eat and days you don't and if he simply doesn't feel like eating then I'm not going to sweat it; I know he won't starve. The bottom line for Luke is that he really doesn't give a hoot about food. Even though the otherday he gave Jessie a very good impersonation of a grizzle bear as she approached his bowl.

If it is a choice between food or affection? He'll take the affection almost everytime. And I'm okay with feeding all over the place; I think it is a more natural way to feed a dog vs. feeding at the same hour everyday and in the same spot. My guys have their own spots in the kitchen where they eat; but more than position they follow the delivery hierarchy. I never have any confusion as to who's food is being put down on the floor. And when I hand feed I use names; this is very important. This reduces the chance of grab eating which can be detrimental to ones fingers.

They also eat outside often; and then I put the bowls wherever the shade is. I love the S&C for this reason as well. It makes for wonderful snack food. I feed the freezedried raw and seeing Luke chomp back a couple of sawdust patties makes me feel better when he has not been eating well.

I'm trying very hard not to sweat the small things; in this big old world there are lots of biggies to sweat about.

No comments: