Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It's been a while



















Wow, what a busy time. Lastnight as I finished up my dinner I gasped; ah I'm out of food. The big thing with cooking for your dog is that you MUST have a protein source to work with. If every once in a while you don't have protein, it's not a big deal but you want to make sure that your dog is getting a good source. And that can be eggs, meat, beans etc.

For the last week I've had premade food for my guys and I was pretty sure I was on my last bag in the morning. If I were just feeding the girls I wouldn't panic but with Luke, a yummy protein is a must. The girls will eat cottage cheese, eggss or whatever, not Luke. So off I go to the garage and into my deep freeze hoping that I missed a bag; and yes I did, one last bag. I'm so happy when I have food made ahead, it's a nice break.

So that means I have breakfast planned and I will need to stop at the grocers and get some meet today. They haven't had raw for about a week so dinner will be raw beef. Hopefully I'll be able to score a deal on some meat and tomorrow I'll cook up a storm again. I also plan on cooking lentils for them, but I need to plan that out. We eat lentils at least once a week but it is filled with onion and things they lots of herbs and spices.

Trader Joe's has precooked lentils which is really wonderful as they take quite a while. They are just lentils and you do whatever you like to them. Lentils are really good for you and a great source of fibre and protein. Try some, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. My favorite is when I make them with applesauce and throw in diced apple at the end. YUM The dogs might like that as well, minus the apple and spices.

No comments: