Saturday, March 14, 2009

Dog food and fallout


Okay, the big difference in feeding "dog food" and real food that I can see aside from the huge difference in nutritional value is the amount of water intake and the piles in my backyard. Yikes, what a huge difference. I have been occasionally feeding dog food so that in a pinch if I need to leave for a couple of days my dogs can eat dog food. I feed Orijen when I do feed dog food which is maybe once every three weeks.

My dogs typically water intake is very low, they rarely drink even after exercise. This is do to the large amount of normal moisture found in real food. When they eat dog food there is a small % of moisture in it causing the dogs to drink alot more. This is very obvious.

As far as the amount coming out of the dogs, I cannot even after all this time believe the difference. Once you get use to your dogs doing one small poop a day, two big whoppers is tough to deal with. Especially when you are talking about multiple dogs. So even though I will keep feeding dog food on the rare occasion so that if I ever have to leave they will be able to eat it and not get upset. It is obvious that "real" is so much better.

No comments: