Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The tomato

I love tomatos, there is nothing better than a summer fresh tomato. They are sweet and juicy and delicious. I am constantly searching for a really good tomato. The tomatos on a vine come very close to that Northern summer tomato taste. Another favorite variety of mine is the pearl tomato which I can now get on a regular basis at Trader Joe's and an organic version.

What is in a tomato that is great? Nutritional info

So do dogs enjoy tomatos? My girls do but not surprisingly Luke does not. Although if they are in his food he will eat them. When I offer them whole to the girls they gentle take them from my hand and carry them off where they proceed to carefully burst them. Jessie will sometimes just pop a small pearl tomato and startles as it bursts in her mouth.

I often add this amazing fruit to the dogs morning or evening meals. I always chop the tomato, even the small ones as the skin is often difficult for the dogs to digest. Better still is to give stewed or slightly simmered tomatos.

There has been much research done on the effects of vitamin C and Hip Dysplasia. Tomatos contain vitamin C. If you research hip displaysia and vitamin C you will find a plethora of information on the subject.

Hip Displaysia

Hmmmm, tomato sandwiches for breakfast sounds good. :)

No comments: