Monday, February 23, 2009

Planning ahead



I usually cook everyday for my dogs. Sometimes I will cook meat in the morning for the whole day, other times I cook at ever meal. And sometimes I just chop because I'm not cooking. And then there are other times when I buy a whole whack of meat and cook it all. So what do you do with it?

I've found that it is much easier to cook the meat and mix it with everything else before freezing. Above is an image of what I do with the prepared food. Yesterday I cooked several roasts and chicken thighs which I got on a good deal. It is too much for a week so I prepared several meals and freeze it in icecream scoop size balls.

The mixture this morning was a bit wet but it'll be yummy. I put all the broth from the roast into the food. First I scooped off the fat from the top so that I could use the broth. There was a mixture of beef, chicken, dried cranberries, apricots, wheat grass, oatmeal and basmati rice today. If I want to add anything else I'll do it before I feed them. So I make the ice cream scoop balls and place them onto naturally waxed paper and put them in the freezer. Once they are frozen I put them into a freezer bag or container and keep them in the deep freeze.

This is especially good for when I'm feeling very lazy.

No comments: