Friday, January 9, 2009

Leafy greens

I like to give my guys lots of leafy greens in their meals. Afterall how many dogs eat grass? Just about all. Dogs eat grass for many reasons, not just to vomit although vomiting is one reason. But dogs like wolves are perhaps just eating it because. Eating grass is a very difficult question to answer and even in researching the subject there seems to be no definitive answer.

From my own experience my dogs eat grass to induce vomiting and just because. If we happen to venture to an open field where there is new grass growing because of some recent rain; I then have a pack of cows and not dogs. It is obvious that baby grass is much better tasting than old grass and they feast for quite a while. And after such a feast, there is no vomiting.

There are then other days when my dogs are out in the yard eating grass with a purpose. There is a big difference in the voracity of consumption. When they are eating grass to induce vomiting it is intense, head down scarfing grass which then leads to the inevitable dual vomit.

So do wolves eat grass in the wild? Again the answer is unclear; most say yes in the form of eating grazing animal stomachs. So with all these unanswered questions; I leave you with, I give my dogs grass and leafy greens. Some of them they dislike some they love. Spinach seems to be one that is disliked across the board, Arugula is one that they all like.

Leafy greens have an abundance of health benefits for us, so why not our dogs? When feeding leafy greens I either blanch or cut very small to aid in digestion. And like anything you put into your dog; watch what comes out. Dogs do not digest grass and you can easily see this. Make sure what you feed is being digested; otherwise it is just a waste of food and can lead to some stomach upset.

There are many articles on the benefits of eating leafy greens; this is just one.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsuperfoods/a/greensnutrition.htm

No comments: