Thursday, November 12, 2009

chewing

Well; I tried the whole giant chunks of meat once again. This time the meat was frozen; not rock solid but definitely hard. I wanted the dogs to work for their meal which then works on their teeth; the poodles did great. They grabbed their giant pieces of raw beef and headed for a place in the yard to lay and chew. The one I was worried about was my Jack Russell; she is the dog that convinced me NOT to do the whole bones thing. She does not chew food; ever, but I thought with the size of piece I was handing out she would have no choice.

I cut her a huge whack of meat; an amount for a really good meal. The piece was probably 4-5" long, 3 wide and 2 thick. This would be more than she normally eats but I wanted some chewing going on. Well; there was no chewing and at the last moment before the piece commenced in choking her I grabbed it out of her. I cannot believe this little dog; so once I had ownership and she was left frantically searching for her meat I cut it and gave her tiny pieces again.

It was an experiment; one that I was monitoring very carefully and had full control of. She had been so completely involved with swallowing that she didn't even notice me grabbing the end and hauling it out. I gotta say this little critter does not lack gusto; especially when it involves eating.

No comments: