Saturday, November 14, 2009

Balancing it all out

This morning my guys had a late breakfast; it was a lazy day so we spent a long while in bed before heading out for our walk. If it is going to be a later meal day I make sure that everyone gets a snack early. This morning it was peanut butter cookies from Trader Joe's. Then before we head out I shared some cheese and some turkey with them all and then leashed everyone up.

After their walk I always wait about an hour before feeding them. Or at least until everyone is nicely cooled down; this is for the same reason that I do not feed my dogs a meal before walking. And that reason is bloat and gastric torsion; both of which my poodles are prone to. Although I do consider the risk much lower when they are eating "real" food versus "kibble" food. Knowing that my breed is more likely to have a torsion I take great care to avoid the causes.

Drinking large amounts of water after exercise can cause big problems; especially if you feed kibble. Kibble swells when soaked down; thus causing the problem. Dogs who eat kibble drink more water naturally so feeding several small meals a day helps to keep the amount down in the stomach. Another great reason to feed "real" food. So once we got back from our walk and everyone was chill they had ground beef, egg shell, sweet potato, cranberries and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fish oil.

Now some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments: