Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Bone meal


Adding bonemeal as a calcium source to your dogs homemade meals is important. If they are not eating raw bones with their meal then they need a calcium source. I buy all natural human grade bonemeal which consists of 1620 mg calcium, 540 mg Phosphorus and 18 mg Magnesium in each tsp.


Egg shells are a great source of calcium as well and is there anything cheaper than an egg shell? I typically toss mine down the garbage disposal which helps get rid of crud but I am going to dry and ground them now. They must be ground down very fine for your dog to digest them properly. And we've all seen foxes, coyotes and wolves munching down on eggs on a documentary or two right? I also only buy organic free range eggs so I know the shell is good.


This article is a wealth of info for anyone interested in taking the leap to real food.

No comments: