Monday, January 25, 2010

preparing for your absence


I was away for several days; it was sort of a last minute deal but I had prepared food for the dogs just in case. I had two batches of food mixed up; one was beef the other turkey. They each had different veggies; one had some rice the other a bit of oatmeal. Both had egg shell crushed into them and some berries. I placed a good amount into the refridgerator and some in the freezer in large freezer bags. I love when I have food made ahead; makes life really easy.

Most of the time I make food on a daily basis but when I have thought ahead and bought a big whack of meat to prepare food for down the road it is a nice change. Making food for when you are away does not have to be a big ordeal. If you cook their food just prepare more than their normal portions for several days until you have enough and extra for your absence.

My dogs eat a huge variety of food; both cooked and raw, eggs, meat, fish etc. So when I'm preparing for my absence I like to try to prepare some different foods as well and give whoever is caring for my dogs several options for feeding. It is a good idea to always have some extra food in the freezer for the "just in case" times you have to leave town in a hurry and don't have time to prepare food.

I also have my dogs eating "kibble" type food about once a week so that if there is ever a time I need to leave town in a flash and don't have time to make food, they can eat dog food. Even though I feel horribly guilty about it; it is a good alternative and when that happens it is only Orijen.

No comments: