Monday, May 18, 2009

Good food


Lastnight I got a shock when I asked my son if he'd like to grab a bite and where. He said Native Foods, which is a restaurant I go to with my girls often as they are both vegetarians. But my son is normally the Taco Bell type so I was impressed, he is starting to consider nutrition vs eating. Over dinner we had a really great discussion on eating good food and fueling your body. Not only is it important for us but our dogs as well.

So when I got home I got to preparing the dogs dinner; it was a good one. Organic sweet potato, organic apple, liver and a free range organic egg. Plus all their supplements; just looking at the bowl told me it was good. And the biggest surprise was that Luke ate everything, rare when I offer up a raw egg, he is not a fan.

When you prepare food for your dog you must think about absorption; it happens in three stages as the food goes from mouth, to well the other end. If their body cannot digest the food or if the food has little nutrients it ends up at the other end having been useless in fueling the body.

Processing food removes nutrients so if you are feeding your dog or yourself foods that have been partially or totally processed then you need to eat alot more to keep your body happy and healthy.

Fact; My dogs poop on average once a day. On dog food dogs poop 2-3 times a day and more and with much more content.

My dogs rarely drink water. On kibble they were drinking constantly.

Luke's seizures are almost down to none since feeding real food.

Jessie's bald spots on her chest, tail and ears have all grown in completely since the change.

Think about what goes into your dog before you put it in their bowl. And if it is dog food, remember all dog food is not made the same.

No comments: