Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Fresh Mozzarella

I made a great pasta dish the other day with tiny fresh mozzarella balls in it. I normally like the marinated type but couldn't find any so they were just plain. Using these little balls as a source of protein is quick and simple. I had a handful left after making my dish so offered them up to the dogs. Without a marinade they are pretty tasteless; so I wondered if the dogs would like them or not. They are very soft in texture as well.

I offered one to Tilley first; she smelled it and turned her head, she wasn't eating it. "Okay I'll give it to Jessie; she'll eat it." She turned it down; I was stunned. I took the biggest sniff of the little balls I could to see if there was something they were finding wrong with these. I couldn't smell a thing of course. I ripped one apart and offered it to both Tilley and Jessie in even smaller pieces. Jessie ate hers and Tilley took it; tossed it around for a while and finally ate it. Luke wanted nothing to do with these mushy little white balls.

It is always interesting to offer new food to the dogs and watch the results and I am always shocked when Jessie rejects something. I'm assuming this initial rejection was due to lack of smell. Soft white squishy balls with no smell or taste? Mmmmmmmm.

Once the dogs had given the mozzarella a fair taste test they wanted more and seemed to enjoy them. Even Luke; after much coaxing decided to try it. There really isn't anything to dislike except that they are sort of soft; if you have texture issues. Cheese isn't something I use as a regular protein source for the dogs but for a treat; it is wonderful. Below is the info on fresh mozzarella.

Fresh Mozzarella

No comments: